Pool My Ride respects your privacy. Pool My Ride offer mapping, community based services and Carpool services to users of www.poolmyride.com (the “Website”) and/or users of Pool My Ride’s mobile applications (the “Application”) (collectively referred to as the “Services”). When you use our services, you’re trusting us with your information. We understand this is a big responsibility and work hard to protect your information and put you in control.
- User Accounts & Accessing the Services
- Information that is being collected
- Why Pool My Ride collects data
- Sharing your information
- Integration with social networks
- Controlling your personal information
- How Pool My Ride retains data we collect
- Information security
- Compliance & cooperation with regulators
To use our Services you must be 16 years of age or older. If you are under 16, you may not download or use the Services.
You can adjust your Privacy Settings in the Pool My Ride app and choose which personal information we may collect about you and how your information is used.
Contact Pool My Ride - Privacy concerns reports
User Accounts & Accessing the Services
Pool My Ride may allow you to use the Pool My Ride Application whether or not you choose to set up a username for yourself. If you choose to use the Pool My Ride Services without setting up a username you may do so by skipping the username setup stage of the application installation process. If you do so:
- With the exception described in the bullet below, and as explained in the section “Visibility” below, your Account and the information associated with your Account (including your unique identifier) will be visible only to Pool My Ride; and
- When using the Application, your approximate location and other information you may choose to contribute will be visible to other users associated with the general username “Carpooler”.
- Note that in order to access certain features of the Services (for example create carpool, internal chat with co-carpoolers) you will need to set up a unique username to identify yourself.
If you do set up a Pool My Ride profile in the Application:
- Pool My Ride will link all of your information with your Account profile. This includes information received from all mobile devices running the Application on which you have chosen to sign in using your profile;
- With the exception described in the bullet below and as explained in the section “Visibility” below, your Account and information associated with your Account will be visible only to Pool My Ride; and
- When using the Application, your approximate location and other information you may choose to contribute will be visible to other users associated with that username.
- Pool My Ride may also establish and require from time to time additional or different means of identification and authentication for logging in and accessing the Services or for accessing certain features or designated sections of the Services.
- Your login details are your responsibility. You are fully accountable for any use or misuse of your Account and personal details as a result of conveying your login details to someone else. You must maintain your login details in absolute confidentiality and avoid disclosing them to others.
Information that is being collected
We want you to understand the types of information we collect as you use our services
Pool My Ride collects information to provide better services to all its users - from figuring out stuff like what’s the best carpool while using Pool My Ride. The information Pool My Ride collects, and how that information is used, depends on how you choose to use our services and how you manage your privacy controls.
Information you create or provide to us:
- Account Information: information required when setting up a profile you have chosen, such as your name and gender. Bear in mind that false, incorrect, or out-dated information may impair Pool My Ride’s ability to provide you with the Services and to contact you when necessary. Pool My Ride will explicitly indicate the fields for mandatory completion. If you do not enter the requisite data in these fields, you may not be able to set up a profile (but you may still use our Services as explained in the above section “User Accounts & Accessing the Services”); and/or
- Information that you choose to share with Pool My Ride: information that you choose to share with Pool My Ride, including a profile you have chosen, reports associated with your username, phone number, other “favorites”, destinations you may travel to, search queries, calendar information (if you choose to activate and use certain Service features like time to leave reminders) and files you have uploaded to the service, including voice and audio files, if applicable. Even if you aren’t signed in to a Pool My Ride Account, you might choose to provide us with information - like an email address to receive updates about our services.
- Communication which you choose to conduct through the Pool My Ride Services:if you choose to use Pool My Ride to communicate with other Pool My Ride users or third parties through the Pool My Ride Services, such as chat messages or sending pinned locations on the Pool My Ride platform. We may also collect information when you exchange communication with Pool My Ride, for example, if you submit a request, contact Pool My Ride’s support team, or report a violation to the abuse team.
- Information from your social networks which you choose to connect to your Pool My Ride Account: you may choose to connect your Pool My Ride Account to your social network account(s). If you choose to do so, you may choose to share with Pool My Ride and/or other users information from your social network accounts, such as your Facebook/Linkedin profile photo or other personal information shared by you. For more information see Integration with social networks, below.
Information we collect as you use our services
We collect information about your activity in the Services, which we use to provide you with the Services of Pool My Ride, including features which are meant to personalize your experience. This includes things like finding you the preferred route and propose favorites or destinations commonly traveled by you to streamline your search and travel. The activity information we collect may include:
- Detailed location, travel and route information. Location and route information is collected for carpool (combined with a time-stamp) and other information sent by your mobile device on which the Application is installed and activated. This location and route information is saved to a route history of all of the journeys you have made while using the Application. The types of location data we collect depends in part on your device and account settings.
- Carpools you searched;
- Communication or other content you chose to share with any third party, including Pool My Ride users through the Services;
- Your activity on third-party sites and apps that you chose to link to your Pool My Ride account or that you interact with through the Service.
Why Pool My Ride collects data
Pool My Ride may use information collected from or provided by you for the following purposes:
Provide our services
We use your information to deliver our services. For example:
- Use your location and route information and/or search query history to provide relevant carpools.
- To share your submissions with other users of the Services and to facilitate communication between you, Pool My Ride and other users.
Communicate with you
- We also use your information to send you updates, notices, announcements, and additional information related to the Services;
- We may also use your information to conduct surveys and questionnaires; And if you contact Pool My Ride we may keep a record of your request in order to help solve any issues you might be facing.
- Subject to your prior indication of consent (to the extent required under applicable law), we may also use the email address that you provided to send you promotional and/or marketing materials. At any time you may choose not to receive such materials by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link in the email messages that we may send to you. In any case, Pool My Ride will not share your contact details with any advertiser, unless explicitly permitted or required by law.
To protect Pool My Ride, our users, the public and for Legal reasons
We may also use and process your information and content, using different technologies to the following purposes:
- To contact you when Pool My Ride believes it to be necessary;
- To comply with any applicable law and assist law enforcement agencies under any applicable law, when Pool My Ride has a good faith belief that Pool My Ride’s cooperation with the law enforcement agencies is legally mandated or meets the applicable legal standards and procedures;
- To detect abuse and illegal activity; to detect and prevent fraud, misappropriation, infringements, identity theft and other illegal activities and misuse of the Services;
- To handle breakdowns and malfunctions;
- To take any action in any case of dispute, or legal proceeding of any kind between you and the Services, or between you and other users or third parties with respect to, or in relation with the Services;
- To help improve the safety and reliability of our Services. This includes detecting, preventing, and responding to security risks, and technical issues that could harm pool my ride, our users, or the public;
- To create aggregated and/or anonymous data (where such data does not enable the identification of a specific user). See “How does Pool My Ride use aggregated information”, below;
Please note that your username and some other information will be visible to others. Note that your username will be included along with any information you submit for posting (such as chat messages). It will therefore be visible to others. Also - your friends on Pool My Ride will see your name & profile photo and any other information you chose to share with them.
Controlling your personal information
You can always review and update certain information by visiting your Account & Login settings (such as your phone, email and more).
You can log on to the Pool My Ride website to view your carpools in profile menu of the Pool My Ride website. Note that in order to access certain information you will need to set up a profile. Your location and carpool history is associated with your Account and (if you have chosen to set one up) your profile or (if you have chosen not to set up a profile) the unique identifier generated by Pool My Ride.
If you find that the information associated with your Account is not accurate, complete or updated, then you should make all necessary changes to correct it. Please keep in mind that false, incorrect, or outdated information may prevent you from setting up a username and impair the ability to provide you with Services.
Your in-app Privacy Settings provide you with quick access to settings and tools that let you safeguard your data and decide how your information can make Pool My Ride services work better for you.
There are other ways to control the information Pool My Ride collects whether or not you’re signed in to a Pool My Ride Account, including device-level settings: your device may have controls that determine what information we collect. For example, you can modify location settings on your device.
How Pool My Ride retains data we collect
Some data you can delete whenever you like, some data is deleted automatically, and some data we retain for longer periods of time when necessary. This section describes why we hold onto different types of data for different periods of time.
- Information retained until you remove it - such as your gender, email address and other account related information. We’ll keep this data in your Pool My Ride Account until you choose to remove it and/or update it.
- Data that expires after a specific period of time - in some cases, you don’t need to actively delete your information as we set retention timeframes based on the reason for the data’s collection.
- Information retained for extended time periods for limited purposes - sometimes business and legal requirements oblige us to retain certain information, for specific purposes, for an extended period of time.
Pool My Ride considers information security to be a top priority. Pool My Ride services are built with strong security features that continuously protect your information. Pool My Ride implements systems, applications and procedures to secure your personal information, to minimize the risk of theft, damage, loss of information, or unauthorized access or use of information. For example, we review our information collection, storage, and processing practices, including physical security measures, to prevent unauthorized access to our systems. In addition, we restrict access to personal information to Pool My Ride employees, contractors, and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
The insights we gain from maintaining our services help us detect and automatically block security threats from ever reaching you.
However, these measures are unable to provide absolute assurance. Therefore, although Pool My Ride takes great efforts to protect your personal information, Pool My Ride cannot guarantee and you cannot reasonably expect that Pool My Ride’s databases will be immune from any wrongdoings, malfunctions, unlawful interceptions or access, or other kinds of abuse and misuse.
Compliance & cooperation with regulators
We store data on servers located around the world and your information may be processed on servers located outside of the country where you live. Data protection laws vary among countries, with some providing more protection than others. Regardless of where your information is processed, we apply the same protections described in this policy.
When we receive formal written complaints, we respond by contacting the person who made the complaint. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of your data that we cannot resolve with you directly.
If the European Union (EU) data protection law applies to the processing of your information, we provide the controls described in this policy so you can exercise your right to request access to, update, remove, delete, and restrict the processing of your information.
You can also export a copy of data in your Pool My Ride account if you want to back it up or export your information to another service. You can log in to the dashboard by going to the Pool My Ride website, then Settings, then choose Download your data archive. Note that in order to access the dashboard you will need a Pool My Ride account with a valid email address to receive your data archive.
You also have the right to object to the processing of your information.
We process your information for the purposes described in this policy, based on the following legal grounds:
With your consent
We ask for your agreement to process your information for specific purposes and you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. You can manage your settings at any time, including your in-app Privacy Settings.
When we’re pursuing legitimate interests
We process your information for our legitimate interests and those of third parties (such as partners including advertisers, in order to report use statistics) while applying appropriate safeguards that protect your privacy. This means that we process your information for things like:
- Providing, maintaining, and improving our services to meet the needs of our users
- Developing new services and features that are useful for our users
- Understanding how people use our services (including how they interact with our ads) to ensure and improve the performance of our services
- Customizing our services to provide you with a better user experience
- Marketing to inform users about our services
- Providing advertising to make our services freely available for users
- Detecting, preventing, or otherwise addressing fraud, abuse, security, or technical issues with our services
- Protecting against harm to the rights, property or safety of Pool My Ride, our users, or the public as required or permitted by law
- Performing research that improves our services for our users and benefits the public
- Fulfilling obligations to our partners like developers and rights holders
- Enforcing legal claims, including investigation of potential violations of applicable Terms of Service
When we’re providing a service
When we’re complying with legal obligations
We’ll process your data when we have a legal obligation to do so, for example, if we’re responding to legal process.
If you have questions, you can contact Pool My Ride and our data protection office, led by our Data Protection Officer, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. And you can contact your local data protection authority if you have concerns regarding your rights under local law.
Last modified: 17 May 2018